Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She has chronic diarrhea, and I have tried the packets that

Customer Question

she has chronic diarrhea, and I have tried the packets that you sprinkle on her food with no luck
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Nina and about 8yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nina?
Customer: no, otherwise her appetite is great, and no other symptoms of anything else bothering her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she been having diarrhea for? Any change in her diet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this has been going on for several months, I have tried that powdered probiotic with no improvement. She has been eating can cat food as well as dry food but now I am seriously thinking about taking the can food away, She doesn't seem sick or lethargic, just has the diarrhea. I am at my wits end,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any suggestions?

Sorry I was offline when you responded. I know some cats that have diarrhea will develop a sensitivity to the food even if they have eaten it for years. Sometimes it may indicate some type of infection of either a parasite or something else. I would recommend either trying to feed a sensitive stomach diet that you can find in the store or requesting a prescription diet for gastrointestinal issues from your veterinarian. If that doesn't help then she may need to be placed on other medication such as metronidazole to see if it helps.