Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I just got 2 6 week old kittens on sunday. Both seem happy

Customer Question

I just got 2 6 week old kittens on sunday. Both seem happy and healthy until last night the male kitten had diarrhea, he has several times now over the night and has thrown up twice.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the kitten?
Customer: he has diarrhea and has vomited.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: no, but he is transitioning to kitten food instead of mom. I fed him mil replacer mixed with a little bit of wet food. I did let him eat until he stopped so he may have eaten too much
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He keeps drinking water a lot
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Is the kitten food your feeding the same as what he had beforehand (since they should have been fully weaned from mum before you were given them)?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello, his diarrhea looks the same as his normal poop color just really runny, was somewhat mucousy looking for a bit. No blood. Vomit looks mostly clear with a tiny bit of food looking substance in it. No blood in either. He was a rescue situation so not fully weaned. I tried feeding him 2nd step kitten formula but wasn't interested and so I mixed it with wet food too and he loved it. I did let him eat as much as he wanted thinking that was the right thing to do, maybe he ate too much? He has been seeming to be drinking water excessively, maybe the cause of the vomit. I did not want to take it away since I didn't want him to become dehydrated. His gums look pale tome, but his sisters loo the same color and she has been healthy. No pain from what I can tell, his belly seems sorta firm. I keep a close eye on him and keep him and his sister in a large crate while I'm not home, the only thing he could have eaten would be litter.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to say that these kittens sound too young and not fully weaned enough to have left mum. So, if they only just stopped nursing and aren't comfortably on kitten food (and provided mum hasn't died), we'd want to think about having them back to mum until they are fully weaned. That said, with one kitten showing persistent signs of upper and lower GI upset, this doesn’t support benign gut upset from overindulgence alone. Instead, it raises real worries of stress predisposing him to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis. Or we'd also have to consider parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (litter would be a worry as it can cause a blockage and thus signs like this as well)

With this all in mind, as long as you are sure Milo hasn't eaten something dangerous and he can keep fluids down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to keep up on the mild if we can and can also start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and feline OTC probiotics (Fortiflora, Benebac) can also be used here to firm the stools quicker and settle the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for kittens with these signs, we need to keep an eye on hydration here. To ensure Milo’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test at home. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol and products with aspirin/salicylic acid as those aren't cat safe. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Since Milo is so young, we need to be very careful here. You can keep him on the milk and also use the above. But if we cannot get him settled in a few hours, he cannot keep the above or the milk down, appears dehydrated already, or becomes weak; then we'd want to get your local vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle this before it can take a toll on him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He last puked/pooped around an hour ago. He has not since, and he is still happily playing. Should I take away food and water for a while? I do believe his vomiting is from him drinking excessively. Like I said before, he was taken from his mom Sunday and was not weaned, could this be the cause of the sudden change in diet? My plan is to let his stomach rest for a couple hours, get him an anti diarrhea med, and baby food. How much baby food should I give him? Was what I was feeding him okay, the milk replacement mixed with wet food? Should I switch what his sister is eating to prevent this from happening to her?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also, he may have been eating only wet food before he was taken, could it be the milk replacer that is upsetting him? I fed him just wet food on sunday night and he did not have the reaction he is having now, that came after I added the milk replacer into his diet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

I am glad he is still bright but we don't want to take food/fluids from him. You can give small volumes and let him have breaks between what he has, but removing access for extended could lead to dehydration and blood sugar crashes. So, do keep up on feeding milk and you can start with a spoonful of the baby food, give a 20 minute break, and then offer more in that manner. That way we can prevent him overdoing things if he is consistently doing so. And it may be that the diet change her precipitated this, but it sounds a bit too severe for that to be all that is ongoing. So, do just be careful. And if the sister is fine, leave her on what she is on but if she shows any signs, then we'd start supportive care for her too.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He has not eaten since 7pm last night, does that raise any more concerns?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Meaning that's when he was last fed, the milk says 3x per day. I normally feed 10 am 2 pm 7 pm
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

As long as he is still bright and has at least had the milk, then we'd not be overly worried about that time frame but would want to of course be proactive here before he can get weak/feel unwell with this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Should I offer the baby food until he doesn't want anymore, in 20 min intervals if he is keeping it down? should I also continue with his 3x milk/wet food feeding?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

Hold off on the milk/wet food. Stick to his milk and the baby food in small frequent doses until you have fed him enough that his belly looks comfortable and not empty. Don't just keep feeding since we need to make sure that overindulgence plays no role here.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I should mix the baby food and milk? Should I also mix in canned pumpkin? How much of it? Teaspoon baby food, milk, and canned pumpkin mixed?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

You can give either on their own or together, both are acceptable. As well, you can add in a teaspoon of pumpkin once we have him a bit more stable and are at a point where we can offer more food.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I fed him just wet food sunday night and he had no issues, I added the milk Monday and he has these symptoms, should I continue milk even though he ate just wet food and had no issues?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

Provided it is kitten specific and you are making it to a proper strength, it is ideal to continue the milk since we need to keep getting in nutrient and fluids. If you have any doubts about the product you are using, you may need to get an alternative from your local vet or use Pedialyte to at least keep him hydrated as you use the babyfood.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could this be caused by worms?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

The diarrhea could but we'd expect both kittens to have signs. And we'd hope that the facility this little one came from had addressed that already.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If this was caused because of the rapid change in his diet, will feeding the baby food upset him further?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

No, because we are using something that is easy to digest as opposed to the complex proteins/carbs of a normal diet.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
should I separate him and his sister
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

There is no point in doing so, as they have already been in contact and likely would be more stressed if you did so.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
could he be drinking excessively because he is hungry and trying to fill his stomach?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Usually its a nausea sign, as opposed to a hunger one.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
should I give him anti vomit med you have mentioned above before the baby food? should I give him water before to see if he can hold it down? if so how much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

I am about to pop away to see my patients, so I won't be available to discuss him further for the next few hours. I would use the antacid for him first. The dose is weight based and in those links above (copy/paste the one you choose into your browser). Once that is on board you can try a few millilitres of food or water.

Take care,

Dr. B.