Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Rash or al egocentric reaction on neck? Nonstop licking,

Customer Question

Rash or al egocentric reaction on neck? Nonstop licking, scratching, and biting in that area
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A very furry cat and he wond stop grooming that area
JA: OK. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not bleeding but raw I put a fabric cone on his head to keep him from it
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Coby and 6 or 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coby?
Customer: He's allergic to a lot of different food so we have a speaciak dry food for him and tuna
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has this been present?

What treatment is he on for allergies?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?
What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Almost a week now I've been putting sulfodine 3 way ointment on it, the people at the pet store told me it would help the itch and make it get better, and he just eats his tuna and dry food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

If you are using the 3-way cream, you need to stop using it immediately. This is not for cats and only safe for dogs. It contains Menthol, benzocaine, salicylic acid (an aspirin derivative) and these aren't cat friendly. If he ingested any of these, we could see some harmful effects and gut upset. So, no more of that cream.

Furthermore, while those ingredients at best would have just numbed his skin (which could also upset him), we need to tread with care here. In fact, if he is severely irritated and constantly traumatizing this tissue, we may need his local vet to start oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, you can try to be more aggressive with your supportive care. Before using that cream, make sure you are cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- the hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation safely. And we do need to keep that cone on but if he can reach this at all we may need a light bandage +/- to clip his nails to reduce self-trauma.

Otherwise, since this sounds like we may have an underlying persisting allergy, we'd want to also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. Alternatively, you could give a once daily 5mg dose of Cetirizine. We like to keep the doses low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, this sounds like a severe allergic dermatitis and the cream you have been using isn't actually meant for cats. So, that needs to be stopped and we can try the above for Coby. Though if he cannot settle with that or has any GI upset or appetite loss; then we'd want a check with his vet for oral treatments for his skin and symptomatic care if the cream they advised as caused any issue.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )