Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

It has an ear that is bothering him, Baxter 3 years old, no

Customer Question

It has an ear that is bothering him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Baxter 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Baxter who has an ear that is bothering him. While there are a number of possible causes for his ear irritation, given his age, it is most likely his issue is related to external parasites. As such, the first port of call here is to get him up to date with flea treatments if he isn't already. Be sure to use a product appropriate for his weight and use a product like Advantage Multi if possible as this will cover ear mites as well as fleas.

We also have to consider an ear infection or polyp here as well, and if he continues to bother his ear and scratch at it, then you will definitely need to get Baxter to his regular vet. Here they can carry out a full physical exam as well as a careful check of his ear canals and ear drum. They can also carry out cytology to check the cells in his ear and rule infection in or out. They may even need to run a culture to see what bacteria are present, if they are seen under the microscope and from there they can more accurately treat with an appropriate antibiotic.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Hopefully my message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions?

Dr E