Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a friend who has 2 domestic cats. they are about 8

Customer Question

I have a friend who has 2 domestic cats. they are about 8 months old. She thinks they might be going in heat. They are very quiet cats but suddenly they are meowing a lot. If so how long does that last?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: if they are in heat how long does it last?
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: they are not hurting but just not themselves. maybe they are going in heat.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?
Customer: there are 2 cats Isabel and Emma
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Isabel?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your friend's cats Isabel and Emma. From what you have said about their meowing in combination with their ages, yes - it is most likely they are in heat. Feline estrus (heat) typically lasts 7 days, and they will likely be back in heat 2 - 3 weeks after this again. Given they are both in heat, they are both able to become pregnant! Hopefully they are indoor cats, but either way, I really would encourage your friend to get both cats spayed in the next couple of weeks (preferably when they are no longer in heat). This not only removes the chance of lots of kittens, but also reduces the risk of mammary cancer, and removes the risk of ovarian and womb cancers. To read more about feline estrus cycles, please click here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/estrus-cycles-in-cats/5635

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hopefully my message came through ok? Let me know if you need any further help.

Dr E