Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My cat is 14-1/2 years old. She has stopped eating and

Customer Question

My cat is 14-1/2 years old. She has stopped eating and drinking. We have tried various foods such as Purina One sensitive stomach dry food, baby food chicken, Kirkland's Chicken and Rice dry food. She will eat them at first and then stop. She will drink some water out of a glass. Vet check showed high normal glucose, normal liver and kidney functions. Abdominal x-ray showed some gas and a little bit of stool. They gave her some intravenous fluid. I had also tried hairball remedy to see if that would help. She had a bowel movement 3 days ago. Don't know what to do. Maybe it is her time because she is 14-1/2? Also read that some people give Pepcid 2.5 mg (a quarter of one 10 mg tablet). Would that help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kirkland?
Customer: I figured it was okay. It was from Costco and supposed to be easy to digest.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response.

It sounds like your veterinarian has done a very thorough initial workup. One thing you did not mention, is if you have tried an appetite stimulant like Mirtazipine. It is very effective with many cats. Pepcid Ac (famotidine) is very beneficial to help with mild nausea and a 2.5 mg dose once daily is reasonable. If you find that the appetite stimulant is not helping, then I would definitely get an ultrasound on her abdomen. An ultrasound will give more detailed information than a plain radiograph. It is non invasive and typically readily available in most areas. As for it being her time, that is a very difficult decision. Ultimately, you will know when it is the right time to help her pass. Trust your heart. Please ask any follow up questions. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill