Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a cat who is throwing up bubbly stuff and she really

Customer Question

I have a cat who is throwing up white bubbly stuff and she really is staring to do that. She's not eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Buffy and she's between 15 -16
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buffy?
Customer: I think that's all.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Buffy who seems to be vomiting white foamy material. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 14 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Buffy this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given her age, we also have to consider an internal organ or endocrine issue here as well. It is even possible that she is coughing up this white foam, which would make a primary cardiorespiratory issue possible as well, although it is rare for cats to have this symptom. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Buffy, and if this vomiting continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure Buffy has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next hour or two, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 14 days ago.

How were Buffy's mucus membranes? How is she doing now?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Buffy overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc