Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8 year old male just lost is little brother. He's

Customer Question

My 8 year old male just lost is little brother. He's devastated. He's alpha male and I want to bring in litter mates one male one female 8-10 weeks old for him to love and raise. He needs this badly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Maurice is very depressed. He's never been alone. At one time there were 4 in the house. He's now all alone and terribly sad and lost.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Maurice
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maurice?
Customer: No, he's very healthy and smart. He's just very sad.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am so very sorry to hear of Maurice's little brother, the loss of a family member can be very hard on cats. Do you mind answering a few more questions so I can get a better history on your cat?

Could you please tell me what symptoms of depression that Maurice has been displaying since his brother passed?

Have you seen any other problems e.g. change in energy level or appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, sneezing?

Could you please tell me what caused his brother to pass away? I realize that this will be a tough question to consider but I would to know if the cause could impact Maurice e.g. infection.