Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Hes highly allergic, 16, and now 5 days after depo Medrol

Customer Question

hes highly allergic, 16, and now 5 days after depo Medrol inj has a hole in top where shot haa been given every 2-3 mos for 4 yrs, did shot cause this, he was not cut by anything, is going blind but I was gone 2 hrs and this happened, and I looked everywhere and cant find where he could've done this, I live alone and hes inside all time now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: thought he was dying night before last, he was panting and thougt he would stop breathing. never did this b 4
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this spot to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Chronic steroid administration can cause skin fragility and tearing at the site of injection. This can occur spontaneously and without external trauma.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to do my best to get a pic to you, thanks, Linda

Thank you, Linda. I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant follow what they put on my phone for drop box, id have to be a lawyer to figure it out and I am stressed, cant I just send it via phone as regular or another way. its packed full of Neosporin and looks reddish today, about 2.5 x 1 in wide, clear looking yesterday and today reddish, also no blood. that's how I know it just happened with out trauma.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no paperclip anywhere.

I understand. It's best not to use Neosporin under the skin. Instead, lavaging the area with over the counter chlorhexidine solution (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) should suffice to keep the area non-infected.

***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help can help you get that photo to me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there something else we can use besides the two dif pills over counter or the depo Medrol inj.?

Which pills are you referring to and which "allergy" does the Depo Medrol address? I would rigorously avoid such a long-acting glucocorticosteroid such as methylprednisolone in a 16 year old cat. I'm amazed that it hasn't caused diabetes mellitus in your cat after all this time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he was pouring out eyes, nose, sneezing horribly, our vet said oh we will give him allergy shots, I don't know what specific allergies, we live in so cal, everything that blooms, I have allergies bad too. I have given in between shots loratadine, and the other OC drug they suggest online for cats, starts with a C. I trusted my vet, never felt good about him. maybe I will go to the other one I have heard is good. shouldn't I have it looked at and probably stitched up? ghost is an old soul and my best friend, I love him dearly, want to do what is best,i sure appreciate your help. thankyou
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his injury looks like someone opened his back near shoulders. it was clear and clean looking lastnight.

I live in the San Diego area and I know just what you mean. The antihistamines aren't reliably effective when addressing allergies in cats but worth a try. I can't know if it needs suturing without eyeballing it. My first inclination is to avoid such work which would entail anesthetizing a 16 year old.

You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should do what to take care of it other than keeping antibiotic ointment on it, I didn't want to cover it. should I do more?

I would simply avoid the ointment and wash out the area with chlorhexidine solution daily as I mentioned above. The wound should contract closed before your very eyes. This is called "secondary healing" which cats do very well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am of course scared of it getting infected and haven't ever covered a wound on a cat. hes so sweet, everyone loves ghost, hes a sealpoint Siamese with the best personality I have ever seen in a cat, so patient, appreciates everything you do for him, I am going to find another vet. if this one cant worry about the shot I will. is there something else I should do besides shot for allergies, anything out there for it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I shouldn't put cream on it or anything? I can get the chlorhexidine solution at my pharmacy I take it. do I pour it on it or?then keep it dry or put something on it?

These wounds aren't easy to infect unless they already are infected such as might occur when infection is introduced by a needle on a syringe (uncommon). Once again, without my knowing what he's allergic to, I can't advise how he should be treated. Instead of the immunosuppresive methyprednisolone, the immunosuppressive drug cyclosporin can be prescribed. It's not without its adverse effects either, however.

Yes, you just fill up the cavity with the chlorhexidine and let him shake it away. You don't need to dry or cover the wound. The problem with using creams under the skin is that they can act as foreign bodies and then a foreign body abscess can form.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you so much, sounds pretty simple. hes allergic to whatever plants are blooming, and just before it rains hes bad, then all he has to do is stick his nose in any plants and their everywhere, dust, pollens, all that, and unfortunately I just found mold and mildew growing about a broken window frame in my house and hes by it a lot, and I am contacting people to take care of it and a lawyer. thankyou for your million dollar advice, bless you and hope you have the best new year ever. ghost & linda

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ps can I ask your opinion about something else, should I if I figure out how to pay for it, have his eyes operated on, hes going blind and the vet recommended a clinic in upland,ca for eye ckd and surgery, costs 380. for ck and 5000.00 for surgery, isn't that too dangerous for him at his age

Surgery isn't appropriate at his age. Having his eyes examined, however, to see if there's a conservative manner in which to address them makes sense.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you so very much

You're quite welcome.