Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I wanted to speak to a vet about my cat and Hypertripic

Customer Question

Hello I wanted to speak to a vet about my cat and Hypertripic Cardiomyopathy
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i wanted to find out more about his life expectancy with this disease
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is your cat?

Does your cat have a heart murmur with this? What grade?

Any clinical signs with the HCM?

Any other underlying health issues (ie hyperthyroidism)? And how are they being controlled?

Is he on any treatment just now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello he is a persian cat , male and 8 years old. Otherwise very healthy. Eats drinks plays sleeps well. He had fast heart beats so I took him to the doctor and he did tests and said he has stage B HCM. He had a little fluid around his lungs and he had a faster heartbeat because of the HCM. I don't believe he has any thyroud issues. The doctor has put him on meds for rest of his life.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is on atenolol, frusemide and kelapril
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The doctor said it is usually anywhere from 3 months to 3 years which seems bleak but I wanted a second opinion
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if you lad originally presented for increased heart rate and if he has any sign increased thirst/urination/appetite or weight loss; then do double check that his vet has ruled out thyroid issues. The reason why that is so important is because thyroid disease can cause these heart signs as a side effect and if not treated then we'd expect rapid heart disease progression and often those cats only have months. (As well, the risk of their developing clots in the heart is another issue that can give us that lower survival rate).

Otherwise I do want to note that your vet has started appropriate treatment to address the clinical signs of his condition but also to slow disease progression. the Atenolol will slow that abnormal rate and the Furosemide will help with that fluid build up in his lungs. The Kelapril can also slow the heart disease progression.

Now the reason that your vet has given such a life expectancy range is because there are many factors that can influence survival for these cases. First, I have to note that it very much depends on how early on the HCM is found and in turn how thick the heart walls already are. Ideally, we'd have hoped your vet has ultrasounded his heart so that the walls of the heart can be measured for a base line but to also give us an idea of how far this has already progressed. If they have scanned the heart and done this, we'd want a recheck in a few months to look at the wall thickness again. Some cats can have fast progressing disease and the second check will tell us if that is the case. But if his heart wall size remains stable then that bodes well for slow progression/medication slowing the disease and he would have that longer survival rate (which I tend to find is more 3-5 years but there are reports of well managed cats going as long as 10 years and passing away from other conditions not related to the heart). So, at the moment, they do have to give you a conservative range. Though he is on the right treatment now to slow the condition and it will be at recheck that we can appreciate how his heart is doing and whether he will be more in the 5-10year camp with the help of his treatment.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Happy holidays!: )