DrBridget
DrBridget, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years veterinary experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
74693245

My cat, age 4 yrs, male, has spots around the edge of the

Customer Question

My cat, age 4 yrs, male, has brown spots around the edge of the iris of one eye. The spots start at the edge and seem to spread inward. About 5 spots are small, about 1 or 2 sq mm in size, and one larger spot about 5 sq mm in size. We noticed some spots when he was very young and our vet at the time said that they could just be discoloration, however, they have never gone away and they have grown over time. He does not appear to be in discomfort. The spots look very similar to photos of iris melanosis, particularly in the first photo on this web page. Any suggestions?.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: He appears otherwise healthy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I'm currently typing up my reply. This may take a few minutes, thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your question, it is great that you are monitoring Simba so closely. There are a few different causes of the spots that you have described in Simba’s eyes. The brown spots are caused by growth/spread of pigmented melanocytes on the iris. Iris melanosis are spots that are not raised. If the spots are raised or have an irregular surface or alter the shape of the iris they are usually iris melanomas, this is a type of tumor. As with all tumors they can either be benign or malignant, the malignant type can spread to other organs.

Ultimately the way to differentiate between the types of spots so we can tell if they are likely to cause any problems for Simba is for him to be examined by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist. These specialists have special equipment and advanced training in veterinary eye care so they are able to confirm what type of spot Simba may have by using a slit-lamp biomicroscope.

If the specialist suspects that these could be melanomas they will discuss with you the next steps for diagnosis and treatment. It can only be determined if they are benign or malignant by a pathologist. The ophthalmologist will guide you through these steps if they feel Simba may have a melanomas.

Hopefully the spots are iris melanosis as you have wondered, luckily most of these spots do not progress into malignant tumors. However if more spots form or enlarge they can cause damage to the area where fluid in the eye drains and can then predispose cats to glaucoma - high intraocular pressures. If the ophthalmologist feels that this could be a problem for Simba they will suggest routine rechecks, possibly every 6 months, so they can check with the split lamp biomicroscope for changes to the spots and will also check his eye pressure.

I would suggest you schedule and appointment with a veterinary ophthalmologist so that they can examine Simba and give you a treatment plan if necessary.

I wish you and Simba the best of luck. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrBridget