Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Would it be o.k. to get a perscription for sedating our cats

Customer Question

would it be o.k. to get a perscription for sedating our cats when we cut thier hair. we have three long haired cats.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: would like to know if a veterinarian thinks it would be possible to get a perscrption from a vet to sedate ou 3 long haired cats. or would it be bad for them.r
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm very sorry you did not receive an earlier answer. Different experts are online at various times and I recently logged on and received notification of your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

Do you cut their hair yourself of do you use a groomer?

Thanks,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

This would depend on what prescription sedative is used and if any of your cats are presently on other medications. Since your vet knows their medical history, best, ***** ***** know which prescription sedative would be best for your purposes. You would want something that is short-acting and not too strong. You would want to do each cat individually, in a separate room, where the others can't see what's going on. As the sedation wears off, watch them carefully for any adverse side effects and if you see any, get them to an ER vet right away.

I hope your vet prescribes just the right medication and the trimming of the hair goes well!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses are always welcomed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cerecita