Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Second opinion] what is the normal glucose range for cats

Customer Question

Second opinion] what is the normal glucose range for cats and can I use a glucometer with O.T.C. strips and calibration stuff?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

The normal glucose range in a non-stressed, healthy cat is about 65-135mg/dL. In a diabetic cat, we expect normal to be between 100 and 300mg/dL. You can use a basic glucometer that you buy at a human pharmacy- in fact, that's what we use in the animal hospitals. Pricking an ear often works.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.