Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats left eye has turned red, the fur has turned lighter,

Customer Question

My cats left eye has turned red, the fur has turned lighter, is eating less, and losing weight? I just noticed today he is losing his balance? I don't have the funds for a vet, what can I do at home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: It is a male cat about 2 1/2 years old. He is a mixed cat but looks more Siamese.
JA: What is the Siamese's name?
Customer: His name is chester
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chester?
Customer: He use to go outside then he stopped about 6 to 8 months ago
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

I am sorry Chester is not feeling well. Apply a cool, damp teabag to his eye several times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and heal.

If he has lost his balance he may have a disturbance to his equilibrium.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

You can give him 13.5 mg of dramamine every 12 hours.

http://www.dramamine.com/

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
What kind of tea, black tea, green tea, herbal tea? Must it be used or just dunk it in water?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Does the Dramamine come in pill or liquid? Do I get it at Walmart or a pet store?
Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

regular orange pekoe tea, not camamile or herbal

yes, dunk it in warm water to get it nice and wet....the more tanic acid released, the faster it will heal

Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

dramamine is a little pill. yes, you can get it in walmart or any drug store OTC.

get origional formula

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=DRAMAMINE+pic&v_t=client97_inbox

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How many days do I apply the tea bag? Should it be a new tea bag every time I apply it to the eye? How long should it be applied on the eye?
Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

You can keep using the same one as long as it stills stains tea color. Try to leave it on the eye 3 minutes at a time.wait 5 minutes and re-apply for an hour each time

Keep applying till he redness heals up.....may take a few days.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How many days do I give the cat Dramamine? How do I give the pill to him? Cats are hard to feed pills to?
Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

I usually add it to a tablespoon of either canned cat food or baby food chicken with no onion powder.

Give dramamine every 12 hours until he regains his balance

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.