Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He acts like he needs to pee but can't, He eats and drinks

Customer Question

He acts like he needs to pee but can't
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: He eats and drinks fine but seems to have a uti or something
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: nowhere, he just hunkers down like he is going to pee (everywhere) and can't seem to go. We keep moving him to his litterbox and he just stays in that peeing pose without actually peeing
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the cat eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Stefano and he is 2or 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stefano?
Customer: He was fixed last year
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been like this?

Can he pass any urine at all?

Does he have belly discomfort if you press between his back legs?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but the signs you are reporting with Stefano are very worrying.

If he cannot pass urine when trying, this suggests that he may be blocked and this is an emergency situation for cats that needs to be addressed immediately.

When we have male cats who cannot urinate it is often because of a urinary blockage (crystals, inflammation, spasm, etc). These cats will often seem fine but perhaps show increased trips to the litter box or straining to urinate (in the box or in odd places), and licking of the irritated privates. But as the bladder fills, they can become painful, vocalize, be lethargic, and even depressed/collapsed. And as time goes on with the bladder blocked, we see urinary toxins leak back into the blood. This can make them feel worse, vomit, and it can even slow and stop their heart (and be fatal) if not unblocked and emptied immediately.

Therefore, if he has not urinated at all despite trying, then you need to get him seen right now (by the ER vet if your vet isn't open).

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.