Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Rocco, is a doll face Persian. He went to the vet 2 weeks

Customer Question

Rocco, is a doll face Persian. He went to the vet 2 weeks ago and given an antibacterial injection for some bumps on his neck under his chin. His hair was matted on the area. About the size of a nickel. I also havebeen using a small dab of mupricin rubbed directly on area.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Persian's name?
Customer: Rocco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocco?
Customer: H not that I know of
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Since you have only listed a history, do you have a question about Rocco's condition?

Has it settled with the antibiotic?

Is he itching it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The skin looks clearer I cut away most of the matted hair. Now he seems to have trouble eating last few days, he starts to eat, eats a small bit then jumps away, doing a weird licking open mouth thing as if something stuck. Wants to eat but something's wrong. He's seven oaths old.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
R u there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.

Hi again,

I am and am in the midst of typing a reply. I will post in full shortly.

Speak to you soon,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that the skin looks clearer. Though these news signs do support another issue and actually are quite characteristic of a cat with oral pain. The most common reason for this is dental disease (a rotten tooth, gingivitis), but we can also see this when things get caught in the teeth, with oral ulcers (from kidney disease, herpes, etc) and oral tumors. And I have to note that if he has possibly been drooling more with struggles to eat that can predispose them to the skin signs he initially had. So, that would be a side effect of this bigger issue.

Now in this case, since he is showing pain signs and we'd not want him to go off food with this (as cats can), we'd want to have him reassessed for these concerns. His vet can start kitty safe pain relief and antibiotics. If there is anything stuck in the teeth or a compromised one is found, removal is often curative for them.

Finally, just in the meantime, since we need to keep him eating, I'd suggest offering or even syringe feeding watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, kitten food, Catsure or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. That way we can get more in even if he cannot eat much and avoid any weight loss or weakness with this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just wants to know if he should go to see the Doctor he hates?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Really wants your help if possible.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.

Hi again,

I have to say that even though he doesn't like going, he needs to on this occasion. His signs of oral pain raise worries that he could progressively go off food if this is left. So, we can use those diets I noted to help keep him stable until he is seen, but this is a situation where a vet visit is a "necessary evil." Though he won't appreciate it, getting this addressed for him at this point, will get him pain-free and prevent any deterioration from this oral discomfort.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Smashed 1/3rd Benadryl mixed with small dab of cream cheese. Rocco gagged it up. Nothing visible. Rocco ate right after more than ever. Went to vet. She checked temp. ok. Manually checked his throat and full GI said ok. A bad experience, hates the doc. Came home, he spent all day hiding and sleeping in box. Doesn't play, not meowing as before. Didn't eat again all day and when he does take a bite (even his favorite treats) he jumps away, with a weird look, mouth wide open and tongue out licking as if I poisoned him.
Actually looked through his poop (not much) for indications, seemed very dry but nothing foreign I could see. No blood.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hi again,

See his behaviour with the food screams oral pain. So, I am worried they've missed something (sometimes we do need sedate to properly check). In any case, ring his vet, let them know what he has just done (even video it on your phone to show them), and since they know how stressed he gets (and since he was just seen for this) they should be willing to just dispense pain relief for him to see if we can get this settled.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.