Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I don't have any money and me cat came home tonight limping

Customer Question

I don't have any money and me cat came home tonight limping on his back right leg. He is in a lot of pain and his hind leg is skaking. He cries when I pick him up. I live in a rural community and the closest vet clinic is 95 miles away. Is there anything I can give him to help with the pain and how can i splint his leg or what can I do to help my little guy. Copper my cat is my first cat and I know nothing about cats, as I have always had dogs and horses. I need help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Copper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Copper?
Customer: No, he was in a cat fight and was treated at a Vet's office in November and was given his vaccinations and was put on antibiotics. Other than that, I don't believe he has any medical history. He was a rescue cat when he was a kitten
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin dosed at 5 mg/lb every 48 hours is the only over the counter analgesic that is safe for cats. You must avoid acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. You mustn't wrap or splint a leg when the underlying problem isn't known. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?