Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Beth **** here. My one year old male short hair came home

Customer Question

Beth **** here. My one year old male short hair came home with me Friday. He has been having intermittent sneez JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name? Customer: Sneezing. Took him to the vet. Gave him fluids and put him on antibiotics. Still kind of worried. Oliver is still sneezing. JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sneezing? Customer: He is rubbing his noses very agressively. The Vet said he had a ridge on his nose.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does he have any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

What treatments did they send home?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any changes to his breathing?

Any appetite loss?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello.In response to your questions:Oliver was adopted Friday from a shleter.He didn't develop the URI and/or sneezing until we got him home.The sneezing continued on Saturday, the Vet gave me Clavamox 62 5mg/ml 145ml and Viralys powder 100 mg.
Giving him the antibiotics twice a day for 14 days. This is now day 3 of giving him in an eye dropper.
Putting him the powder in his dry food once a day.The gave him fluids subcutaneous 50-400 ml.He had a fever.No visible nasal discharge and his nose is cold to the touch.Has sneezing fits. He will go long periods of time - over an hour not sneezing and then have these fits.His breathing does not seem labored. But the sneezing fits continue.Gums look pale pink in front and white toward the back. Moist to the touch but not sticky.I don't think he eats a lot but I don't have a good frame of reference for his appetite.He is purring and sleeps. Started to play a bit this morning.He seems to have stopped the aggressive rubbing his nose with his left paw.I didn't know if I just need to be patient or how long I should wait to take him back to the Vet. I don't know what normal recovery is for this. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now this a very common situation when cats are rehomed from shelters. Often they are exposed to the upper airway infectious agent (ie herpes, calicivirus, bordetella, Chlamydophila) at the shelter but only show signs once their stress hormones (with elevate in the face of so much life changes) depress their immune system. And often this will last 1-2 weeks.

With this in mind, your vet's treatment has been appropriate. The antibiotic will help with the bacterial concerns and the Viralys will reduce herpes shedding if Oliver is a carrier.

That said, if he is still sneezing severely, we can try some further supportive care to help him counter this. Of course, you could also ring his vet about dispense feline safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to just help the reduce nasal inflammation that will be causing some of this irritation and sneezing you are seeing.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care, you can start by steam treating Oliver. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will moisten the nasal tissue and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. If he doesn't, then you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in his carrier with a sheet over that and the humidifier.

If he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or Little Noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally, if you see any appetite loss with this, you can also try tempting with smelly wet foods can help break through that congestion and keep them eating. As well, it can help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Overall, it sounds like Oliver is being treating correctly for his signs. Though if he is very irritated and sneezing a lot, then the above +/- cat safe anti-inflammatories would also be indicated to soothe that for him as we fight this cat flu for him.

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.