Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

What is best antibiotic or mouth care for my cat who has

Customer Question

what is best antibiotic or mouth care for my cat who has stomatitis, mouth ulcer and is FIV positive?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: bella, not sure of age. was a stray.. few years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bella?
Customer: no. I have taken her to vet about a month ago and they gave her two rounds of an antibiotic and predisone with not much improvement. but she is eating and trying to thrive, but the ulcers are still there. I'd like to just try to help her from home with what can get on line. so any suggestions? I've ordered a chlorohexine mouth spray, but wondered if there are some antibiotic drops I could give her
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to address your concern about Bella. Stomatitis has is auto-immune disease in which cats have a severe immune reaction (leading to ulceration) to dental plaque in the mouth. Often times, the antibiotics prescribed are done so help decrease bacterial load in the mouth so less reaction occurs. Good choices for antibiotics may include Convenia (injectable), Clindamycin or Metronidazole. Severe stomatitis often times is best controlled with full mouth teeth extraction to reduce the tartar all together and decrease ulceration. In the absence of such treatment, it is often recommend for steroids to given as a maintenance drug rather than a tapering course. But due to adverse side effects of steroids, teeth extraction is better for cats long term. Because of the auto-immune nature, Prednisone needs to given at an immunosuppressive dose rather than an anti-inflammatory drug.

I recommend that you make a follow up appointment with Bella's veterinarian this week to address this. Discuss with your veterinarian your options such a dental extraction, adjusting the Prednisone dosage and/or changing the antibiotic choice. Unfortunately, stomatitis is too chronic of disease to treat with home care alone, however it can be beneficial once oral ulcerations are stable in nature.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Good morning:) I hope my advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if I can clarify or expand on anything here. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate my answer to your question about Bella. This ensures I receive feedback as well as credit for my professional time and is highly appreciated..