Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a fluffy who is not eating and losing weight. i gave

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: I have a white fluffy tom who is not eating and losing weight. i gave him worm paste ay intervals which helped him for a few weeks, but this last time only lasted a few days, I brush him often. Alice
JA: There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Alice?
Customer: my cat is about 8 months old. [Alice is 87 !!]
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alice?
Customer: Norty, the cat will only eat Minced meat with liver and dry food, but not touching either today.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is your phone number?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I see you have not gotten a response yet. I can help you, and I am a veterinarian, but I can only answer questions here. I can't make calls for the website. You can continue to wait for an expert who can make calls, or I can help you here.

Is your cat neutered? Has he had his vaccinations?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No he is not neutered, I am waiting till he is well enough. he has had no vaccinations as yet. he is 8 months old.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

When a young cat like this is not eating, and losing weight, it is usually not parasites. Parasites will cause weight loss, but doesn't usually cause a cat to stop eating. In a cat less than a year, I would be worried about the three serious viral diseases we see in young cats: feline leukemia, FIP and feline AIDs.

If you look at his gums, are they pale in color or a normal bright pink? I would take him to your veterinarian for a check up and if your vet thinks it is the right thing to do, test him for these viral diseases, especially if you think his gums are pale in appearance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think it is hairball. He has vomited long stringy substance a time or two. Is there a simple treatment for this? His gums OK.
Alice.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Better to phone [02] 6895 4009. thank you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

As I said above, I am not able to make calls for the website. It would be very unusual for hairball to cause weight loss and not eating. Vomiting can be seen with infections, and internal blockages (which are sometimes seen in severe cases of parasitism) as well as hairball.

You can get hairball remedies online, or in pet stores or at your veterinarians, but hairballs rarely make a cat sick and not eat. Good that his gums are pink.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

The offer for a phone call was automatic from the website, not from me. I am in the US and can't call you even if I could make calls for the website!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is Norty doing? Was my answer helpful? I hope he is better; let me know.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?