Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My cat hasnt eaten food for 3 days she has been drinking

Customer Question

my cat hasnt eaten food for 3 days she has been drinking some water and has been peeing but has not had a bowl movement
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Shadow she is 13 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: she had rabie shots on Dec 20th and since then she has been not her self. I took her back to the vet on the 29th and they said she had a 104 fever but didnt no why and they gave her a convenia injection
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to answer your questions about Shadow. I am concerned that her previous infection is not healing on the Convenia injection alone. Therefore, it is likely that her fever has returned and is leading to to the anorexia and lethargy. Unfortunately, cats can become fatally ill from not eating for even a small amount of time and three days of anorexia is definitely a medical emergency. I strongly recommend that you go ahead and take her in to an after hours emergency vet hospital right away. If you call your veterinarian's main clinic number, it will likely give you the contact info for the nearest emergency hospital. She will need fluid supplementation (either subcutaneous or intravenous) right away both to correct her dehydration as well as begin to bring her temperature down. She will need to have further tests done to rule out other bacterial, viral, fungal infection or parasitic disease that is causing her symptoms.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)