Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

We have a 4 month old kitten that is hot to the touch ,is

Customer Question

We have a 4 month old kitten that is hot to the touch ,is only staying in one spot not eating or drinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Boone, we also have another kitten 5 mo and an 1 yr cat that seem fine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boone?
Customer: No he has been fine until about 1 day ago
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I am sorry to hear that your kitten isn't feeling well. It sounds as though Boone has a temperature (most likely from a bacterial and/or viral infection) that is causing his lethargy and anorexia. Unfortunately, given his age and small size, I strongly recommend that you take him to an after-hours emergency vet hospital right away. Once there, your veterinarian will examine him and complete the necessary diagnostics will most likely include a FeLV/FIV combo test, complete blood count and fecal examination. He will need fluid supplementation (either subcutaneous or intravenous) both to decrease his temperature and re-hydrate him. Kittens that are very small and not eating/drinking will become dehydrated and hypoglycemic pretty quickly; however, given the necessary treatment and medications can also recover quite nicely. Given his symptoms, taking him in today is the next step.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)