Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 19 +6to7 lbs.was at vet. Last month given steroids

Customer Question

My cat is 19 +6to7 lbs.was at vet. Last month given steroids to make her comfortable. She suffered a stroke and lost function from below her shoulder s i used a small syringe to give her an enema about a. TSP. With mild dish but nothing happened help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Patches a beautiful dilute calico
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No office closed left message
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a couple of questions to get a better understanding on how to help. Is Patches not able to walk at all? Is Patches eating? When was the last bowel movement?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Patches can only use her front paws and head. It's been 6 days since she moved her bowels .She is eating but started bringing it back up yesterday
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't afford it I'm in. A wheel chair and have no car

It can take up to 6 weeks to know how much function Patches may regain. Since she started vomiting yesterday, I would definitely be concerned that she is constipated, but I would also be concerned that she may have developed a urinary tract infection. Because she is paralyzed, her urinary bladder has to be expressed three to four times each day to keep it from pooling urine and allowing an infection. Have you been expressing her bladder? How much has she been vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has no fever and no l haven't emptied her bladder. She is vomiting about a tbs. Twice a day

Because she is paralyzed, it is critical that her bladder be expressed multiple times each day. I would take her into your local veterinarian tomorrow so that they can check her for obstipation (inability to defecate) and a urinary tract infection. They will also need to show you how to express her bladder in order to give her time to regain function.