Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has been losing weight lately and not taking care of

Customer Question

She has been losing weight lately and not taking care of herself as in cleaning etc. I had to cut knotted hair off of her. I noticed she is drooling from the mouth but it looks like it could be pusy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: She did have some bleeding from her mouth a few days ago but haven't noticed any lately
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Libby she is 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?
Customer: No she has always been a very healthy clean cat. She is very fluffy and white (well not so white now)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Given Libby's signs, we do have a few concerns. Her weight loss and lack of grooming are likely secondary to oral discomfort which the drooling supports. And if you are seeing pus, then this many be due to a dental abscess or rotten/infected teeth. Furthermore, we can also see all of these signs in cats her age with oral tumors or ulcers (from herpes or kidney issues).

With this in mind and since cats will eat less to avoid pain (even at the risk of self-starvation), we'd want to have her seen by her local vet urgently. They can assess her mouth and start kitty safe pain relief and antibiotics to help her. If there is a compromised tooth, then removal can be curative for her. And just in the meantime, since we need to counter that weight loss, I'd note that you can offer soft foods or kitten canned food, Hill's A/D, or Royal Canin Recovery. Or if she will drink, Catsure oror Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and will help us get food into her until this can be addressed for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )