Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We took our cat in for a dental, only to find out when we

Customer Question

We took our cat in for a dental, only to find out when we picked him up, the vet filed down his fangs. She told us she did it because the fangs were chipped. He was fine while the pain meds were in his system, but now he refuses to eat anything. I have never heard of filing down a cats fangs, and assume this is what is causing discomfort. Is this a legitimate procedure? Our vet won't be in until Tuesday.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Were the teeth filed down alway the way or is there still some of the teeth left?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The upper canines were filed down so that they are almost flush with the other top front teeth. The lower canines were left alone.

I know sometimes that procedure can be done if the canines are difficult to remove for some reason but the concern would be that the root would be exposed unless they placed some type of cap on the teeth otherwise that could be pain. But the first option I would choose would be to remove them completely if I were doing the dental because at least the root would be removed

What pain meds was he put on?

What pain meds was he put on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The weird part, during his check up, she had said his canines were fine, but that he needed a cleaning. There aren't any caps on the upper canines, they are just flattened nubs. She gave him a shot of meloxicam, and said he would not need any additional pain meds.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
by flat, I mean the it looks like she went in and sanded them down until the were the same length as the upper front teeth.

My initial impression would be that she may have not been comfortable extracting those teeth. I know there are not too many veterinarians who are comfortable extracting teeth especially in cats unless they are almost falling out. If she still seems uncomfortable and it is due to the teeth then she may need the roots extracted. If your veterinarian is uncomfortable doing that then you may need to be referred to a veterinary dentist.