Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat appears to have a cold day one. He feels warm, a bit

Customer Question

My cat appears to have a cold day one. He feels warm, a bit lethargic,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: but he ate a bowl of fresh meat tonight with water
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: not really. Nothing has changed other than we had 70 degrees dropped to 24 a few nights ago and a bit wet. He is an indoor out door cat
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 17 days ago.

Does he have nasal drainage or sneezing or nasal congestion?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No notable discharge but he was sneezing and felt warmer than usual when I was holding him.
He had no interest in his organic catnip tonight which was a sign he did not feel well.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
please call
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
please call(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 17 days ago.

I can not call now so I will opt out and allow other experts to call you if they are available.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK thank you........Being Sat. nite holiday I was hoping for advice to get us through til Monday/tues. as all are closed.
Wondering if cat simply get over a cold ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have not heard form anyone yet
Expert:  Terri replied 16 days ago.

Hello and happy new year,

There are many ways to help a cat with a cold.

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

Give him lysine, odorous foods so he can easily smell them and will eat. Tuna, canned cat food, baby food with no onion powder like chicken, turkey, beef etc. Warm the food to bring out the aroma.

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

https://www.chlor-trimeton.com/
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri