Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

He is a pure bread Russian blue. 6 years old and never any

Customer Question

Hi! He is a pure bread Russian blue. 6 years old and never any behavioral problems - until the last 2 months Spraying and peeing on my clothes. He is attached to me and hates when I leave
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name is niko.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about niko?
Customer: He is declawed and neutered and we have pheromones all over the house for over 1 month
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!

Have you taken him to a vet to have a urine sample checked to see if he has urinary tract inflammation, crystals, or signs of an infection? That would be the first step.

If his urine is completely normal then he may need a prescription anti-anxiety medication if the phermones are not working.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His blood work is great, we have tried calming everything...I think we need medication
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My vet wouldn't prescribe it:-( he said he prefers if I try pheromones and natural callers
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Calming agents *
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that it??

What natural calming agents did the vet prescribe?

You can try adding a product called "cat attract" to the litter box. They sell cat attract at larger pet stores and online.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Feliway and rescue remedy

Ok rescue remedy is 65-70 percent alcohol if you read the ingredients.

It sounds like anxiety to me.

I practice hollistic medicine, acupuncture, and western medicine.

In your cats case I think you need to go with Western medicine therapy. At least for a few months.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok:-( thank you! Can you recommend something and what do I do start over with a new vet?

Yes, ask the other vet for a copy of the urine test and blood work.

Then take those with you to a new vet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

I would start with amiptriptylline but every vet has a favorite. And if the first one does not help in 2-3 weeks there are many others to try.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok

Your vet can also get the medication flavored or put into pill or liquid form. If there is no way you can get the medication in him then you can get a form where you rub it on the ear and it goes through the skin.

That is called "transdermal."

If they are any stray cats oranimals outside that may be causing him stress you can buy a motion activated sprinkler to keep them away.

Sometimes other animals come in the middle of the night so you may not know they are there but he may see them out the window.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's wonderful! Yes there are!! Where would I find that?

The have them at amazon.com. Just type in "motion activated sprinkler" into google and a bunch come up. I think Home depot has them too. Not sure if they have them in the winter though.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think he gets mad at me as well because I bring him in from the porch when I have to leave and he wants to stay out all the time but I worry about him falling in the pool etc. that's happened before

Then also buy a black light so you can make sure all the traces of urine are gone. Urine glows with a black light.

I bought a cheap black light on amazon.com.

I use Natures miracle urine destroyer to get the urine out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been doing that for sre

And then try to think if anything has changed in the house or outside that would stress him out and cause him to feel the need to mark his territory.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried that one and it didn't work for me

Okay, but I think a new vet appointment is in order after the Holiday.

Do you have any other questions you can think of for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well we have been in this house 3 months...he was fine when we first moved and it's not his first move either- he never had issues. But the cats outside- he is screened in so they can't get to him but he had grass at the old house and here he doesn't. Also my husband has been working overseas and been fine for a month and 2 weeks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems he lives to be in the porch or patio area. I will find a way to secure the pool and leave him out for as long as he likes

Okay so he may be over protective if your husband is gone. Nothing you can do about that situation.

Anyway, an anti-anxiety medication should help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much!

Glad to help.

Have a Happy New Year : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You as well!

Thank you.