Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I was combing my cat when a black bug came off into the

Customer Question

I was combing my cat when a black bug came off into the comb. It's a flea comb, I tried to examine if further but it jumped. Got me thinking it's fleas, so I used a wet paper towel and rubbed it in his fur. I focused on the base of his tail and up his back. Then his tummy. I can't find anymore bugs on him and nothing other than his cat litter is in his fur
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zen, 4/5months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zen?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If the black bug jumped away, it is was very likely a single flea since our other insects (ie mites, lice) that can be found on our pets don't tend to jump. In this case, since you cannot find any more fleas on Zen (and provided you cannot find any black flecks of flea feces), you can just choose to monitor this situation. Otherwise, if you want to err on the side of caution with Zen you can consider using a good quality flea spot on treatment (ie Advantage II or Multi, Revolution, etc) to just ensure he is protected should this flea or any others stop by to have a nibble of him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My roommate has a cat too. She allows him on our 3rd story balcony, could he pick them up from way up here?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

It is possible since they can jump, but its more common for them to be carried indoors by their owners or even travel under doors from outside an apartment or house since they are a mobile parasite (unlike those others I noted).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.