Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

One of my cats third eye lid is showing and today she's

Customer Question

One of my cats third eye lid is showing and today she's tilting her head and has a little lost of balance. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Missing and about eight months.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missing?
Customer: Sorry Missy. She was fine till today with the balance thing. She's had the eye problem about a week.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The concurrence of a head tilt - a vestibular (balance) sign - and third eyelid prolapse is strongly suspicious of a peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear) vestibular syndrome with concomitant Horner's syndrome which can cause third eyelid prolapse, a miotic (smaller than usual) pupil, ptosis (upper eyelid droop), and absence of the blink reflex. Both infection in the inner/middle ear and an inflammatory polyp originating in the middle ear are important differential diagnoses for Missy. Missy's vet will need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Missy which might necessitate X-rays of Missy's middle ear(s) in order to clarify the diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will she be alright?

The conditions I mentioned are treatable and when treated appropriately are curable with some combination of systemic and otic (ear) antibiotics and /or surgical removal of a polyp.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.