Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am looking for the ideal dosage of MIralax for my

Hello, I am looking for the ideal dosage of MIralax for my megacolon kitty. He is currently on 3ml x2 of lactulose daily and is pooping reasonably frequently on that. Unfortunately he absolutely hates the syringe experience and the taste of lactulose and it is stressful both for him and myself. He weighs 6kg! A big british blue. Do I go straight to Miralax or taper down the lactulose while starting him on the Miralax? Don't want to get him backed up in the transition! Many thanks Lesley van Reenen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Louis....
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louis?
Customer: He is otherwise healthy and is 4 and a half years old. Megacolon diagnosed 2 months ago. He is pooping without Cisapride. Only using lactulose....

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, there is no hard and fast dosing for GI lubricants. Instead, they are dosed to effect. So, generally speaking we'd usually give a healthy cat 1ml once daily of Miralax to start. Though given Louis's condition and current treatment, you can try giving up to 3ml once daily. There is no need to wean him over but you could give a second dose of Lactulose at his current dose in the early stages to make sure we don't cause constipation with the switch. As he settles, you can wean that Lactulose dose down (+/- wean the Miralax up to 5ml at most) until you have him at an ideal fecal regularity.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, so far so good. I put him on 1/2 ts per day of Miralax and dropped the lactulose to 2ml. I did this because he had started to choke on the lactulose, which is very distressing! He had a bowel movement day before yesterday that we saw. He might have had more, but his bowels were clear on checking manually with a thermometer. So plan to take him right off the lactulose soon. I have increased the Miralax slightly in preparation for that. Rgds

Thank you for the update on Louis.

I am glad to hear that we are moving in the right direction, especially with how much bother that Lactulose is giving him.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.