Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is suddenly eating less and I am not sure if I should

Customer Question

Hi, my cat is suddenly eating less and I am not sure if I should be worried. She is a bit overweight and has been on a diet for the last 9 months. In that time she has lost 3lbs. She has one of those portion controlled dry food feeders that feeds her small portions 3 times a day. On Sunday she skipped lunch and then didn't eat everything at dinner (lunch + dnner portion). Since then there is always food in the bowl as she seems to be behind by a meal or slightly more. She is still drinking normal amounts of water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I tried hand feeding her some treats and she ate those but she wont eat her cat food when I try the same trick she is 14years old
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Any breathing changes to does she appear sore when eating?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi thanks for helping
Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? - noAny breathing changes to does she appear sore when eating? - noAre her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky? - pink and moistIf you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing? no rolls over for a tummy scratchCould she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)? not likely, she has never eaten anything like that before. Besides toys she doesn't have access to that stuff.Any diarrhea? No
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she has none of the signs I asked about, since those are our most common reasons for seeing elderly cats reduce their food intake. If we can put those lower on our list of concerns, we’d be more suspicious that she is tiring of the diet she is on. That would also explain why she will take treats but then turns her nose up at this diet.

Therefore, it would be ideal considering trying an alternative flavor to what you are feeding or perhaps mixing in a different diet to increase her interest and boost her appetite. You could even try a canned diet (as they have less carbs which is ideal for weight loss) to just see if she eats that better.

Finally, just in case you did want to rule out a mild nausea, I’d note that you could try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, your lass thankfully hasn’t any of the signs we look for when cats have a reduced appetite for health reasons. Therefore, we’d want to try tempting her with an alternative diet to see if we can restore her appetite. Otherwise, we can trial a new diet, use an antacid to just rule out nausea, but would want a check if her signs do not improve.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks so much. Picky about the food is much better than other issues. :) will try some wet food.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I absolutely agree. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 hours ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.