Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is suddenly eating less and I am not sure if I should

Hi, my cat is suddenly eating less and I am not sure if I should be worried. She is a bit overweight and has been on a diet for the last 9 months. In that time she has lost 3lbs. She has one of those portion controlled dry food feeders that feeds her small portions 3 times a day. On Sunday she skipped lunch and then didn't eat everything at dinner (lunch + dnner portion). Since then there is always food in the bowl as she seems to be behind by a meal or slightly more. She is still drinking normal amounts of water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I tried hand feeding her some treats and she ate those but she wont eat her cat food when I try the same trick she is 14years old

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Any breathing changes to does she appear sore when eating?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi thanks for helping
Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? - noAny breathing changes to does she appear sore when eating? - noAre her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky? - pink and moistIf you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing? no rolls over for a tummy scratchCould she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)? not likely, she has never eaten anything like that before. Besides toys she doesn't have access to that stuff.Any diarrhea? No

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she has none of the signs I asked about, since those are our most common reasons for seeing elderly cats reduce their food intake. If we can put those lower on our list of concerns, we’d be more suspicious that she is tiring of the diet she is on. That would also explain why she will take treats but then turns her nose up at this diet.

Therefore, it would be ideal considering trying an alternative flavor to what you are feeding or perhaps mixing in a different diet to increase her interest and boost her appetite. You could even try a canned diet (as they have less carbs which is ideal for weight loss) to just see if she eats that better.

Finally, just in case you did want to rule out a mild nausea, I’d note that you could try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, your lass thankfully hasn’t any of the signs we look for when cats have a reduced appetite for health reasons. Therefore, we’d want to try tempting her with an alternative diet to see if we can restore her appetite. Otherwise, we can trial a new diet, use an antacid to just rule out nausea, but would want a check if her signs do not improve.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much. Picky about the food is much better than other issues. :) will try some wet food.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I absolutely agree. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiWell she ate the wet food but she has had one bout of diarrhoea. She is still eating the dry food but not the usual amount. She is fed three times a day so I had just replaced one of the small meals with a small amount of wet food.

Hi again,

You could try another flavour of the dry with her. Or if you noticed she ate better with the canned vs. the dry (despite the diarrhea), then that would actually raise concerns that she may have some oral discomfort (ie dental disease, oral ulcers, lumps, etc). In that case, we'd want to have a dental check to make sure that this isn't our culprit and that she is selectively grazing food types. As well, just in case you do keep feeding canned, you can use a small dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) to keep her stools firm as her gut adjusts to this. This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, those could be used but again if she ate well on the canned then oral discomfort is a concern for her picky behaviour with the dry.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Taking her to the local vet tomorrow for check/tests as she continues to eat less and less.

You are very welcome,

If she is continuing to show appetite decline, then that is ideal to make sure there is nothing making her feel unwell that she isn't telling us about.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.