Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I wasn't expecting this. My cat got some nail polish on him,

Customer Question

Hello, I wasn't expecting this. My cat got some nail polish on him, I had tried to brush it out a little, but was wondering when he cleans himself if this would be harmful for him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tucci, he was a stray we took in, about three months ago, the vet told us he was probably 6 months, so id say around 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucci?
Customer: No all test the vet ran when we took him in came back fine
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Tucci. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. About how much nail polish is on him?

2. Has it dried already?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In about four spots nothing more than a pea size for one, and the others even smaller. It has tried.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

If you were thinking about using nail polish remover on him, I wouldn't recommend it since it contains solvents which may be toxic for him.

The dried nail polish has a pretty low toxicity so wouldn't cause much beyond possible mild vomiting upset if ingested. Considering the small amount we're talking about, I'd be surprised if he has any gi issues after ingestion of it at all.

Larger amounts of nail polish may be removed by clipping the hair although care should be taken not to cut his fur if you use scissors.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Deft. not thinking about nail polish remover whatsoever! While brushing the spots I was able to get a little out, I decided to give him a break from it and that's why I tried this.Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 days ago.

You're more than welcome.

Glad you weren't going to apply anything else to his fur:)

I suspect you'll probably be able to get more of it out with brushing and then you can trim away what's left if you wanted....although I wouldn't expect any issues if you decided to just leave it. Deb