Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

13 years old, gradually lost weight, thought he had a cold,

13 years old, gradually lost weight, thought he had a cold, have given 7 doses, one morning and evening of amoxycillin, seems to want to eat and cannot, stands over water bowl and cannot drink, one eye watery, sneezes occasionally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Honey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?
Customer: He has always been healthy, good natured, is one of seven cats in household, all healthly. He is an inside-outside cat with access to indoors through pet door. We live in a rural area. Stray cats and wild animals - skunk, possum etc occasionally in yard.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear about Honey's problems. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

When an older cat loses weight, and is not eating well, it is usually due to some internal disease. What you describe: going to food and water but just standing there without eating or drinking, is classic for some of the diseases we see in older cats. This could be chronic kidney disease, pancreatitis, liver disease, heart disease, and (sadly) cancer. Any of these would make a cat lose weight, and not eat.

The sneezing could be a respiratory infection, but usually cats do not lose weight from a respiratory infection. Doxycycline would be the antibiotic of choice for a respiratory infection.

If you check his gums, are they pink or pale? Can you take his temperature with a thermometer?

The place I would start if he were my cat would be a thorough physical exam and possibly blood tests. Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you I have an appointment with his veterenarian today at 4:30, one hour from now. He is a very good doctor,but treats mostly large animals - horses and cows = but he is knowledgeable and very kind. He tested Honey for diabetes last week and cleaned his teeth. And clipped matted hair on his tummy. I will ask him what tests he can do to determine the cause for Honey's problem, and about the Doxycycline you mentioned. He seems to feel a little better and doesn't seem to be in pain, although he does have arthritis. I had a cat that lived to be 20 years old, and then got kidney problems and died. It breaks my heart every time I lose one. Thank you so much for your answer.

You are welcome!

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. Please let me know how he is doing and what you find out.