Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have an older car who has started to urinate right

we have an older car who has started to urinate right outside of cat box, she also wants to eat off our plates all of a sudden - any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mao - not sure the age but in her later years
JA: How old is Mao?
Customer: no sure maybe 10 or later
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mao?
Customer: she looks like she is getting thinner - she does have a kidney problem that causes her to urinate alot

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear of Mao's problems. Give me a moment to type my answers.

Some older cats have arthritis, and find it difficult to get into the litter pan. Arthritis medication, and/or cutting down one side of the litter box can be helpful.

It is always a good idea to have a urinalysis done whenever a cat stops using the litter pan, to be sure she doesn't have an infection. Urinary tract infections or other urinary problems make cats avoid the litter box in some cases.

If her appetite is increased, but is losing weight, she may be hyperthyroid. This is a common and treatable condition of older cats that makes them eat more but lose weight. A blood test will tell you if she is hyperthryroid and the treatment is daily medication, or a special low iodine diet. Radioactive iodine therapy is also an option to treat hyperthryoidism.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She does have arthritis and goes in and out of one side of her box. Do we have too much litter in the box for her to walk in?

It might be that, or it just might be hard for her to get in and out. She might benefit from Onsior, a prescription arthritis medication for cats.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you sounds like a trip to the vets

You are welcome. That would be best. Let me know how she is doing and if I can answer anything else.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have an appointment next Saturday at the vet. My husband asked a good question. Why would the cat be religious about moving her bowels in the cat box but not urinate

There could be a lot of reasons for that. Cats seem to feel differently about defecating and urinating and may be "religious" about doing one or the other in the litter box, and do the other away from the litter pan. Sometimes cat develop a preference for not doing both in the same litter pan, and want to defecate in one litter box and urinate in another. She may have a urinary problem, which might make her associate painful urination from an infection or urinary crystals, and these cats will chose to urinate on smoother or softer surfaces.

The best place to start is a physical exam and urinalysis. Let me know what you find out.