Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

She is twitching her ears and crying a lot, she eats, pees,

Customer Question

she is twitching her ears and crying a lot, she eats, pees, but miserable, just started Fri. Will get her to vet asap but holidays prevented. Any type of otc meds I could give her for her pain and anxiety???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: chanci age 7yrs weight about 8 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chanci?
Customer: she has had all her shots but ready for her 3 yr check up
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

My apologies that your question did not receive an earlier answer. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry Chanci is feeling miserable. The crying definitely means something is wrong/bothering her and could be causing her pain. She may have a bad tooth or other oral/dental problem that is causing her pain.

Because she's twitching her ears, she may have an ear infection, which can be very painful. In addition, she may have ear mites which will need a miticide to get rid of them. Of course, if she has an ear infection, she will be prescribed ear drops for the type of infection that is found. Cats can develop bacterial or fungal/yeast infections in their ears.

She also may be twitching her ears because she has fleas or mites (which are typically microscopic) and they are very itchy and causing her pain.

**Human pain medication is toxic to cats and I would not give her any human anxiety medication unless prescribed by the vet.**

One thing you can do at home, before she sees the vet, tomorrow (Monday), is give her an antihistamine like Chlor-trimeton, which has a sedating effect in most cats. Benadryl is another possibility, but it has a very bitter taste and makes cats foam at the mouth. The Chlor-trimeton is a very small pill and if you give her 1/4 of a 4mg. tablet, it will be easier to pill her. You can crush it finely with the back of a metal spoon and then add it to a little bit of her canned food or some plain jarred infant baby food chicken or turkey containing NO onion or garlic products. You can even not crush it and give her the 1/4 tablet, whole, in a small 'meatball' of her canned food. After she takes the medication, follow it with more food and water. Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton

------------------

I hope this helps her sleep until you need to bring her to the vet's office, tomorrow morning.

Another product that will help relieve stress is Feliway plug-in diffusers. These emit cat-calming pheromones only detected by cats; they have no odor to humans. Here is more information:

http://www.feliway.com/ca_en

-----------

I hope all will be well with your Chanci!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses, although never expected, are always welcomed, for a job well done!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 10 days ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Chanci. Did you have her seen by the vet? I hope she's feeling better, today!

Did you find my answer helpful? I hope so, and if you did, please take a moment to either let me know, here, or select a positive rating from the ratings box on your page and click 'submit'. That is the only way the website will credit me for my assistance. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Cher