Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8yr old cat has started running out the door when open

Customer Question

My 8yr old cat has started running out the door when open she has always been a inside cat scares me why has she started this behavior
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: Just this behavior she had st
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Chloe. Wouldn't it be awesome to one day just be able to have a conversation with a cat to find out exactly what is going on in their minds? Since this isn't going to happen, we'll never know what exactly they are thinking. Why has Chloe taken to now trying to get out the open door? Honestly, something out there has her intrigued. Could it be a sight, sound, or smell that has perked her curiosity about the great outdoors? Could she just be very curious about what is where she can't go? She sees everyone else go out there, so why not her? Some cats will just start to be more adventurous and curious as they get older. Personally, my own cat goes through times of the year where she just tries to get out. It seems to be in the fall for my cat. This behavior for her isn't by any means unique to her. I have randomly owners say that similar things go on with their house cats. It isn't because she's lacking anything as far as food, care, attention, etc... It is just her "calling" to try and do this. The best thing you can do is to be aware of her new curiosity and to let others know this to make sure they pay attention when going in and out so she doesn't sneak out.