Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat (5yr old male) has what looks like a bite on the side

Customer Question

My cat (5yr old male) has what looks like a bite on the side of his foot. should I attempt to draw it out with tea tree oil in a wrap/ My friend says to use draw out salve but I don't think so. it isn't oozing but looks raw around the wound& wound itself. He's giving lots of favor to it when walking. That's what brought my attention to something being wrong with it.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Tea tree oil is well documented to be toxic to cats and a serious risk, please do not use it.

2. A good first measure would be to wash the affected area with warm salt water twice a day, then gently dab it dry with clean kitchen paper and then apply the likes of Neosporin. Do this twice a day for five days

3. But the problem is that cats or not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [ pus forming ] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course and this is the danger here.

4. If an abscess has set in as I am suspicious as may have happened in your case as he is limping then the usual treatment would be a weeks course of antibiotics although some may need lancing and flushing out under anaesthesia as well, this does mean a visit to your vet but it is a situation which is usually very easily resolved.

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bite on his foot ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.