Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

For three days are normally spunky, active cat has been

Customer Question

for three days are normally spunky, active cat has been laying around with hardly the energy to get out of the chair to go to the cat box. We have been feeding her, and giving her water, she takes it a little bit at a time. her eyes are weeping and tonight she seems, to have labored breathing.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear your cat is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is lethargic and has a much reduced appetite plus the other symptoms you mention makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in a cat of her age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly. Sadly there is nothing much you can do to help her on a home remedy basis.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
what is the normal temp for a cat?
her temp is 105 ! it is hard to get treatment that is within our means-and we have for many reasons, become the parents of seven cats-they are all inside cats, due to the coy otes and fast traffic.
Thank you
Your advice is from over the internet- OK

The normal temperature of a cat is between 99.8 and 102.3 F.

A temperature of 105 F is quite high for a cat so really antibiotics are going to be needed ASAP. Not much else you can consider since most over the counter human drugs such as aspirin which you could consider for dogs are very toxic for cats.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her high temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sybil L Mckissick. How is everything going?