petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our cat is 13 years old, diabetic. We give insulin shots

Customer Question

Hello. Our cat is 13 years old, diabetic. We give insulin shots twice a day. She also has a heart condition, for which we give her pills. The diabetes has stabilized, and she's been in good health for several months. Today, she's vomited twice, and also pooped outside of her litter box three times inside of 30 minutes. We check her sugar level, and it's down to 154. She seems to be behaving normal and healthy otherwise. Stomach illness?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Don't think so.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Annabel Lee.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annabel Lee?
Customer: That's all of her issues.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thank you. We'll be waiting.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Annabel Lee today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you, if you don't mind.

Does she have a history of GI problems before today's episode?

Was the stool that she passed formed?

Did she eat normally today?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No history of GI problems, and stool looked formed, but a bit slimy. Also, more poop than usual for one engagement.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She ate normally this morning, took her pills. But threw it all up. After we cleaned everything up, we checked her glucose, it was 154. Then she went back to eating like normal again. She seems fine now. Cleaning herself.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, you will want to have her examined by your veterinarian so that the cause can be identified and the treatment be prescribed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything we can do to ease her upset stomach before we can get her to a vet?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast her a short while to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult cat, a 12 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Since she is a diabetic however, if she is not eating, she should not get a full dose of insulin. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, smaller meals. If the stools improve and the vomiting ceases, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal feeding schedule and insulin. Remember, with a diabetic, it is far safer to let the glucose run a little high for the short term, than to let it get too low. While you are fasting her, I would just skip that dose of insulin in that time period. When you start offering smaller meals, use a reduced dose of insulin and if you are concerned check her blood glucose levels. Make sure to have some honey or pancake syrup on hand so that if she drops too low, you can supplement with that.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

If she continues to vomit, have diarrhea or won't eat, you should definitely seek out veterinary services, even if that means ER services. It sounds like she is a stable diabetic, but diabetics in general get out of balance much easier than a normal cat from even simple disturbances.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I think we're good. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

You are most welcome. Good luck with her.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz