Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have 3: a senior diabetic Abyssinian who tolerates and

Customer Question

I have 3: a senior diabetic Abyssinian who tolerates and isn't bothered by either of the other two, a 2 year old Havana Brown, and a six month old Aby. All are female and the kitten is still intact. The Havana, Coco Chica, attacks the kitten, Bambi, and physically hurts her. Both Chica and Bambi have their own room and get the run of the house at different times. Both are very loving toward me. I got Bambi because the older cat will be 12 in February and Chica does not like to be alone. Neither does Bambi. Bambi is willing to get to know Chica but as soon as she begins to play, Chica chases her and it's bad. They've been separated for months but I allowed a meeting yesterday that ended with the same bad result. I don't know how to redirect Chica and can't seem to do that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry Bambi has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bambi?
Customer: Her wounds from yesterday seem to be healing without infection. She's very playful: all kitten all the time. She was an only kitten and came to me at 12 weeks in September. I have followed all the advice such as feeding them on either side of the door, now on either side of a baby gate, but Chica's interest is always to hunt Bambi.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does Chica go after Bambi if Bambi is not interacting with her?

When was Bambi's first introduction to cats, since she was a singleton? Was she raised in a home with other cats or was it just she and her mom until adoption?

Do you own a wire dog kennel 36" or larger, by chance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chica's interest in Bambi is constant. She will stare at the door of the room where Bambi is secured. Just today, I was successful in getting Chica to come away when I warned her to leave Bambi alone. I treated her for it. She's
currently sleeping close by and Bambi remains enclosed in her room.Bambi came from a breeder and was introduced to other cats a few weeks before coming to me.I do have a dog crate of good size. I tried putting Bambi in it but Chica tried to swipe at her through the openings. Putting Chica in it causes Chica to cry nonstop and Bambi will not approach her.

I won't lie, you've got a tough job on your hands.

One thing you're up against is that Bambi didn't learn from birth how to be a cat and what we often see with singletons is that they will cross a boundary with an older cat (like being too rough or not obeying a boundary) and the older cat will do everything in their power for an extended period of time to set strong guidelines and boundaries for the kitten that they do NOT tolerate disrespect of their boundaries. As bad as you may feel for Bambi, she's likely learning a lesson from Chica that was not enforced when she was younger. Older cats (adults, that is) are seldom tolerant once they are spayed (or neutered, although I find males to be more tolerant than females) of the learning curve that kittens have.

Although Chica has gone after Bambi through the slats of the kennel, this is the approach I would take to try to get Chica past this phase. If the kennel is reasonably sized, Bambi will be able to escape her advances and eventually Chica should back off and find something else to do. Without direct contact and lots of it, Chica is going to continue acting like this each time she has a break from Bambi. I would recommend food, water, bed and a covered litter box for Bambi in this kennel (protection if Chica gets carried away). I would also use a coffee can emptied and filled with dry beans OR a bottle of water. If she approaches the kennel for no reason and becomes aggressive, verbally correct her and shake the can or use the water bottle set to stream and aim at her back end. Most cats will get the idea that they need to leave the kitten alone and will obey boundaries quite quickly. If she does not, I can help you further in the near future with zap mats, if they are indicated (seldom are).