Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He eat some hand sanitizer and our vets are closed today,

Customer Question

He eat some hand sanitizer and our vets are closed today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: He's throwing up
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Hand sanitizer
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Henry 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Henry?
Customer: None of the vets in our area are open
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much and what are the listed active ingredients?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yesterday the ingredients are just glycerin he won't let me touch his stomach and gum's
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if Henry is that sensitive about his stomach, we need to tread with care. Glycerin can cause severe gut upset, diarrhea, and cramps but do keep a close eye on his urination (since urinary blockages can present with belly pain and vomiting too and are a feline emergency) and try checking his inner eyelid if he won't let you see his gums (that way we can just rule out internal bleeding issues).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** for your lad, we’d want to try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, we need to tread with care. If he cannot urinate, we'd need him seen as an emergency. Otherwise, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach until his vet can follow up with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, and symptomatic care as needed to settle him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has just threw up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

In that case, we need to rest his stomach for a few hours and then can use the above for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.
Hi Kira,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?

Dr. B.