Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat ate a small piece of plastic, Sammy he is 3, He had

Customer Question

Hi my cat ate a small piece of plastic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sammy he is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammy?
Customer: He had surgery about 2 yrs ago for intestinal blockage after eating rubber bands
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did Sammy eat this?

What size was it? Any sharp edges?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just a few minutes ago. I couldn't get it out before he chewed it. No throwing up gums are pink. His stomach feels same as usual but he doesn't usually like when I touch it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's not acting unusual I'm just worried since he already had an obstruction before
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

If it was a few minutes ago, its not an obstruction yet. It will still be in the stomach. So, can you tell me again if this plastic was soft or had rigid edges?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im not sure what size exactly but it wasn't big I took it away as soon as I could
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was soft like from a bag
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No edges
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Great, I am so glad to hear it was soft.

The reason is because since this just happened and since its not rigid (which could damage the throat coming back up), we can induce vomiting right now to bring it back up. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. Or the vet could also use their endoscope (scope with a camera) to get this back out.

Otherwise, if we couldn't get it back up, then we can try to get it moving the other way. To do that, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage this to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on Sammy. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Though if he has just had this, we can induce vomiting now to get it back up. Otherwise, we'd use the above as we monitor with hopes of getting this passed the other way. Of course, any of those red flag signs and a blockage to the gut would be a worry and we’d want Sammy checked urgently by the local vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.