Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My female 9.5 year old cat, Twilight,has a hardened raised

Customer Question

Hi, my female 9.5 year old cat, Twilight,has a hardened raised scab on her lower back above her tail. I was out of town for a few days (3) so I'm not sure how it happened. it wasn't there before i left. no other symptoms, everything else is normal i can upload the picture if you'd like! Please help!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I just want to know if you thank a wound like this may be an emergency or what you think this might be from?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. Does Twilight go outside on her own sometimes?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
never on her own. I took her outside on monday and walked with her but only for a few minutes. she's been inside constantly since monday.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
also...it doesn't appear to be painful to the touch at all. no sensitivity that i can tell at all.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Twilight has this problem, from your photo I would say that this probably something very minor, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. The chances are that this is nothing much to worry about, it could be an area of allergic dermatitis or an area of skin infection, you see these sorts of skin problems on cats quite frequently.

2. I think the thing to do is to wash the area with warm salt water twice a day, gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then apply the likes of Neosporin. Do this twice a day for five days or so, very often this will resolve things, if not then you can always have a vet check it over at that point.

3.But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Twilight's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You are amazing, Dr. Scott! Thank you so much!! This is so helpful!

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Twilight is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her skin scab ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for checking! I've been following your advice and cleaning her scab with warm saltwater and using antibiotic ointment and it already looks better! Thank you so much!

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott