Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My cat threw up some nearly undigested food on Wednesday.

Customer Question

Hello.
My cat threw up some nearly undigested food on Wednesday. But seemed to be feeling fine otherwise.
I left him at home for the day on Thanksgiving. Yesterday morning I found that he was very lethargic and he had not touched his food (dry. he was switched to natural balance about a month ago due to rodent ulcers and a probable poultry allergy). He does not appear to be in pain. He meows loudly when I approach him, but he allowed me to feel his sides and belly, and did not act like any spot was painful.
He was slightly better today. Still lethargic, but he has been moving to use his litterbox in a different room and moving to different areas of the carpet. I also saw him grooming several times. He has diarrhea. I gave him some wet food, and he ate a little of it.
My question is this. Does he need to go to a vet? my vet will not be open until Monday. And is there anything I can do for him at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

With what you are describing it is difficult to tell what specifically is going on. However, there are a few rules about seeking emergency care. If the diarrhea is severe (watery) or has any blood then he should be evaluated this weekend. If he is not urinating normally or is making frequent trips to the letterbox then he should be seen emergently due to a concern for urinary tract obstruction. I suspect that he may have a fever. Cats normal body temp is 99-102.9. If his body temperature is over 105, then he needs to be seen emergently. My other general rule of thumb, is that cats that do not eat for over 24 hours should be evaluated as soon as possible. If he goes outside, then there are a number of possible ingestions and exposures. You can start a probiotic, like Proviable or Fortiflora to help with the diarrhea. They can be found at many pet stores or online at Chewy.com. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for several days after rating my response. Take care.

Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessica Michal. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill