Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

My friends cat seems lethargic and appears to whistle when

Customer Question

Hi. My friends cat seems lethargic and appears to whistle when breathing at times. Her owner has been away for a few weeks and may have some depression. There is an odor coming from her but maybe she has stopped washing herself because of the depression. The cat cat doesn't seem interested much in noises and did not care about the food I placed in front of her tonight. Doesn't appear to be in any pain but just has a non caring attitude about her. Pauses when she drinks water as if in a daze or asleep and then drinks again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Eeva and around 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eeva?
Customer: She rooms with another cat and would hiss when the other cat got close but now lays next to her without concern.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry Eeva is not acting like herself. As you suspect, it might possibly be due to depression or separation anxiety that her owner is away.

If she's not interested in eating, this can cause a serious liver problem, if it continues. The smell from her butt may be because she's not grooming properly, as you suspect, but it can also indicate a problem with her anal glands; if they are impacted or infected, they may be leaking and this can lead to a rupture, which is painful and prone to infection.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=509

-----------------

She may not feel well in general and have one or more underlying medical problem, in addition to missing her human mom, so it would be best to have her seen by a vet or ER vet, as soon as possible, to be diagnosed and treated.

I hope all will be well with Eeva!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses, although never expected, are always welcomed, for a job well done!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cerecita