Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

She is cleaning her ears an awful lot and starting to

Customer Question

she is cleaning her ears an awful lot and starting to scratch at them and we have a ferret with ear mites. Could she be getting them? even though they really do not interact?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Scootch and she is 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scootch?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 8 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Scootch. I would be worried about ear mites and would recommend treating with a product called Revolution. It works great for ear mites in cats. The other concern would be an ear infection with yeast or bacteria and that needs to be treated with ear drops. The vet will do what is called a ear cytology where they take some of the ear debris/wax and roll it on a glass microscope slide and look under the microscope for any possible infections.