Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My cat has fluid built up in his 1 ear, Preston and he is

Customer Question

My cat has fluid built up in his 1 ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Preston and he is about 8 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Preston?
Customer: In door cat
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 8 days ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

How long has this been going on for?

is the fluid coming out of the canal of the ear or is it trapped within the ear skin itself?

shaking his head or scratching his ears?

has he been to the vet for it yet?

any other meds or illness?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's been 1 week, looks like trapped within skin of ear look, and he does scratch at it sometime. I haven't taken him to vet yet. I thought about breaking it open myself to drain out

ok thank you for that additional information. I would definitely recommend taking him to the vet. these are almost always caused by an ear infection causing them to shake or scratch at their ear. they then break a blood vessel open in between the two ear flaps, which causes a hematoma. you cannot just break it open yourself as it will just fill up again. we typically will drain it with a small needle, then inject a long acting steroid into the ear to try to help with inflammation and have it scar down. it has about a 60-70% success rate. otherwise if that doesn't work surgery is a possibility. however, you need to address the underlying cause, which is usually an ear infection. i also put them in a narrow e collar to try to reduce down the shaking and also the scratching. ultimately, he needs meds, just opening it yourself isn't going to do anything for fixing it as it is not addressing the underlying cause. every vet has their own way of treating them but that is the most common.

does that make sense? is there anything else i can help you with today?

if there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a star rating at the top so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What about opening it up and then putting antibiotic cream on it.

again it isn't going to help because it is not due to an infection of the ear pinna (where the swelling is) it is most common due to inner ear infection, and you cannot just put meds in the ear that are not labeled for cats as it can cause significant damage. you also have to find out what type of ear infection to be able to pick the right meds. the swelling of the ear is a collection of blood, that has nothing to do with an infection, it is just a broken blood vessel within the ear pinna. it will just fill up again. you have to get them to stop shaking /scratching, which is why i use an e collar, as well as treat the underlying ear infection within the ear canal.