Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Noticed her paws were orange. She had knocked over a bottle

Customer Question

Noticed her paws were orange. She had knocked over a bottle of Dayquil and was cleaning herself. So I googled it and found this page. It's 10PM on a holiday weekend so don't know any open vets. I cleaned as much of it off her paws as I could (it stains). Wondering how I would notice if she got enough to be harmful to her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about It 's?
Customer: that's it. She licked some dayquil off her paws cleaning herself
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How many hours ago was she licking this?

How much would you estimate she may have had?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took her to a late night vet. They think just the amount on her paw isn't enough to be a danger but gave her meds just in case. She's about 10-11 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

If she only had what would stain her paws and she is that small, then the risk of harm is low. Just to note, the risk from Dayquil does depend which one she had access to. Fro example, DayQuil Cough (dextromethorphan) and DayQuil Mucus Control DM (dextromethorphan, guaifenesin) are not worrisome in dogs as we do use those ingredients on occasion. DayQuil Cold & Flu (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, phenylephrine) and DayQuil Severe Cold & Flu (acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, phenylephrine) are the two that raise more worries since high doses of acetaminophen can cause GI upset, liver damage and also affect breathing. Though it doesn't sound like she had a enough there. Otherwise, its the phenylephrine is tends to be the biggest issue since it can cause GI upset but more importantly affect the heart rate,blood pressure, and cause hyperactivity and tremors. So, those would be the main concerns to watch for but it sounds like you have done everything right and that her exposure was thankfully quite small.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.