Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

My cat's front paw has a cut and a punctured wound. It is

Customer Question

My cat's front paw has a cut and a punctured wound. It is red and hot. I don't want to go to the vet yet if I don't have to pay for the expensive fee now.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 12 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 12 days ago.

Does he go outside? When did you first notice the wound? Is there any drainage or odor? If you would like to post a picture on here you can load it with the paper clip icon that should be at the top of this box if you are on the computer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He sometimes goes outside. There was a little bit of pus. That one leg is slightly bigger than the other.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 12 days ago.

Thank you

Unfortunately it sounds like an abscess.

You have already tried the over the counter remedies with betadine and triple antibiotics.

It sounds like he needs a vet exam and an antibiotic injection or oral antibiotics.

As long as he is eating well and not in distress you do not need to take him to the emergency clinic as that would be much more expensive.

Most regular vets are open on Saturday mornings at 8 or 9:00 am. I would call first thing in the morning and try to get him seen by the regular vet.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5o4xabygvm9nr64/AABFSzs_Ld1ICsbXtpAANzWgaThese are the pictures that I just took. It was hard taking them because he was in pain and I couldn't get him to stay still or open his paw.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 12 days ago.

In most of the pictures it looks dark red and lumpy and infected.

I think he will need antibiotics to resolve it.

If money is tight you can tell the vet you just want an exam charge and antibiotics.

I do not forsee lab work or xrays or anything like that.

You can also apply at carecredit.com. Doctors, vets, and dentists take it. I had to use it last week for an emergency root canal. It's easy to apply and get approved.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Delia. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I took my kitty to a vet. Thanks for everything. He gave him two injections. One an antibiotic and one an inflammatory injections. He's much better. He's still limping a little but not as bad.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 day ago.

Ok great. I am glad he is on the mend. Thank you for letting me know. : )