Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat was fine yesterday and today he was sick and unable

Customer Question

My cat was fine yesterday and today he was sick and unable to walk with out falling Dow rushed him to my vet and he said it looked neuro my cat is only 6 anyway I took him home they said they would call with the blood test well when I got home they called and said he had an infection bring him back for shot by that time my cat was lethargic and his tongue was hangin out so I said no more stress I will bring him in the morning did I make the wrong choice I think if the infection is that bad he my not make it septic shock could be going on I am sick that I didn't bring him back tonight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help with. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about with?
Customer: He said it could be a brain tumor and he said I could take him toa spinal hospital I want to wait one night and take him back in the morning
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.

Well, of course the decision to bring him back for the antibiotic injection is up to you. If he were mine, I would have brought him back, or, you could have a housecall or mobile vet come to your home, after conferring with your vet, to find out the blood results and what your cat's examination revealed.

From your description, it's possible that your cat has an ear infection or a condition called vestibular syndrome, which is related to an ear problem and affects balance and equilibrium, causing him to walk like he's drunk. It also makes a cat dizzy and that can cause nausea, like human motion sickness and that's what made him sick, earlier. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

--------------

If your vet suspects a brain tumor could be causing your cat's symptoms, I would get a second opinion and perhaps ask for a referral to a veterinary neurologist. I would check out the condition of his ears and the possibility of vestibular syndrome before considering a brain tumor.

If you feel he is not in pain, you might wait until tomorrow morning for him to get the antibiotic injection and/or antibiotic drops for his ear(s), after a thorough examination of them. If he can't walk straight, is not eating, not drinking and not eliminating as usual, I would recommend a visit to an ER vet center tonight, to have him examined and evaluated more thoroughly and then, diagnosed and treated, if needed.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback from the ratings box at the top of your page; that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my effort and assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification and/or additional information, if needed, at no additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to request me by name, for any future questions; just type: "For Cher Only" to begin your post.

Bonuses, although never expected, are always welcomed, for a job well done!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see how everything is going.

Please let me know if you found my suggestions and answer helpful.

Thanks!
Cher